Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Scissors and a Mirror

Moving to the east coast has opened up an entirely new world to me in the cultural mix. It's fascinating to see all the Indian women in their sarees and hear all different sorts of dialects. And speaking of that, it can bring about some pretty comedic circumstances.

Ahhh... two instances that had me in tears laughing....

The first happened when we had just moved here. We were in the process of checking out at Wal-mart around dinner time, and being in the mood for pizza, we decided to ask our cashier if she knew if there was a Little Caesar's nearby. She nodded enthusiastically, and said, 'Yes! Yes, little seezors?' We were like, yeah! Until she started making scissor motions with her hands. Bahahahaaaa, we tried to correct ourselves and explain, but she got really confused when we told her we were asking about pizza....

This last Saturday I made Brian shop the local Homegoods store with me while our oil was being changed in the car. We ended up purchasing a big gorgeous mirror, but there was still time before the car was going to be finished, so we asked if they could hold onto it until we had our car back. It was no problem. Brian went back inside to pick up the mirror, while I stayed in the car. He was taking forever, and I thought he had decided to splurge on some of the Halloween decorations we had been perusing earlier. Finally he came back with the huge mirror in tow, (which I had to hold in my lap on the way home since we had the stroller in the trunk- hate that! ;) When I asked him what had taken so long (seeing as he had no Halloween decorations) he said he had gone inside to the desk and said, "I need to pick up a mirror." Without hesitation, the employee picked up the store intercom: "Amir... Amir to the customer service desk...." (Bahahahaaa... by this point I'm rolling) Amir apparantly approached the service desk, looked around confused, and then took off with a cart of returnables. Brian was like, "Um, no, I need to pick up a mirr-ror that I purchased earlier...." not necessarily pick-up Amir after his shift....

Ahahahaaa... the hilarity :)

1 comment:

Aimee Phipps said...

Hahahahahahahahaaaa. I laughed so hard the first time I read this. And the second time. And the third time. And then the time I read it out loud to my roommates. That is hilarious. So was Amir disappointed that Brian didn't recognize him? Hahaa. So funny. Wish I could have been there to see that in person.