Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Butterfly Bag

Yesterday I designed my first 'curvy' bag. (I've made some before, but this is the first pattern that I've actually designed.) I was really kind of nervous, because this is the first bag I've made with a mind specifically to sell, and not for myself or as a gift. (I've become such a schemer on how I can make some extra cash... I need to get things rolling!) So here is my first 'curvy' pattern: butterfly bag.



I thought I'd actually do a little demo here on how I make a pattern. It's really pretty easy.



I start out by just sketching what I want the finished bag to look like. Then I break it down into pieces, remembering that I'll be using 1/2" seam allowances. For this one I decided to do the main piece on the fold line, so the curves would be completely symmetrical. For this bag, I decided to do darts instead of a bottom piece (which saved so much time and fabric because there were no sides and no bottom!) I decide how I'm going to construct it (mostly how I'm going to put the exterior and lining together.) Then I drew this pattern on the computer for cleaner lines. I downloaded Inkscape (a free version similar to Adobe Illustrator... though I would loooove to have that program again... we lost it in an unfortunate "let's clean up the computer" accident... anyway...) Printed it off, cut out the pieces, and voila!






{tassel}
{bead embellishment}



This bag has my usual magnetic snap closure and four interior pockets. At first I was afraid it was turning out too childish, but with those extra little details (the rings, the beads, and especially the tassel (which was a last minute crazy inspiration out of my little pile of trimmings!)) I feel a lot better about it. I actually kind of love it now! I think it does need some alterations next time.... Like I'm going to make the darts deeper, and the curves on the top much larger (somehow they turned out so small!) But for a first time pattern, I think it turned out pretty good! Is it sell-worthy? :s I hope so. I still want to sell my standard boxy bag too, so maybe if I come up with one more version of a bag, I'll have a nice little trio of purse patterns to work with. Anyway, just wanted to share! :)

Ironic that the shape of the bag turned out looking like a butterfly, while the fabric is also a butterfly print. Haha

6 comments:

Becca said...

You could design me a diaper bag.. how much do you charge?

Michelle said...

You should start the business (give it a name like sheena designs or something like that) and start your own blog on the business or do a website and then advertise the crap out of it. Business cards things like that and have them all refer to the website. If you want to get it started definatly do that.People will see and they will buy because they are actually pretty good.

Aimee Phipps said...

I love the purse design. It looks fantastic. The fabric pattern is awesome. I saw the purse you designed of FB too. Love the little matching makeup purse. I feel like all bags should come with something like that. Then you could make wallets and stuff.. maybe not with the same pattern but with coordinating colors. You should patent your designs. They look lovely. Have I told you lately how cool I think you are?

Melanni said...

I love this purse! Where are you planning on selling your bags, etc?

AE said...

sheena! I want to make purses but even from your design and explanation, I don't know if I could do such a lovely job like you have--especially for your first design. Making up the story or even just perfect title for your designs adds a lot of value/interest to your customers. Keep doing it! Also, I highly recommend starting an etsy account on www.etsy.com
(if you haven't already heard of it...although I doubt it considering how craftsy you naturally are!)

Anonymous said...

Its lovely purse, it is designed very well, I feel like all bags should come with something like that...

___________________
Vince
Naton wide cash is easy and fast