Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sick Days

So we've had a few sick days around this house.
K, more like sick weeks.

Miles usually only gets sick about once a year.  Nothing too serious.  We've always been so blessed that he's been so healthy.

A couple weeks ago he had a fever for a couple days solid.  He was acting totally fine.  I kept asking him if his ears hurt, thinking the fever might be caused by an ear infection.  He said they felt fine.

The next night he started crying in the middle of the night and coughing.  Whenever he would try to inhale, he would just wheeze.  I told Brian it sounded to me like it might be in his chest.  So I took him to the doctor the next day.  I wasn't too worried.  I was thinking more of that fever that wouldn't seem to  go away...

The doctor listened to his chest and gave me a worried look.  "We've had so much pneumponia going around... One of his lungs sounds really swollen and he is wheezing.  You'll need to take him to the hospital for a chest x-ray."

I was kind of in shock.
So, baby in tow, we drove over to the hospital (for all that fun) and Miles was so good getting his chest x-rayed.  They had him stand, and he stood perfectly still all by himself.  Such a good kid.

The doctor called that afternoon to confirm: it was pneumonia.

Isn't that a scary sickness?  Haven't people died from that?  I try not to think about it, and then as I'm reading along in the Hunger Games, she talks about people dying in the street from starvation... exposure... pneumonia...

I did a lot of crying by myself over the last couple weeks.

Miles had to be taken to the doctor every few days to be checked to see if he was ok and if there was any improvement.  The first three check-ups: no improvement.  "He's treading water.  Not getting worse, but not getting any better."  One of the doctor's phrases from our first visit keeps ringing through my head, "We've only had to send one little boy to the hospital.  No matter what we did for him, he just wasn't getting better..."  And Miles wasn't getting better yet.  It became my worst fear, that we may have to hospitalize him.

First it was antibiotics two times a day, nebulizer three times a day.

Then, let's switch up antibiotics, and add a steroid and an expectorant.  Keep doing the nebulizer.

The steroids taste awful.  He throws them up one night.  Then it's a guessing game to figure out how much of a dosage we can put into his juice without him noticing... "Mom, it tastes bad.  There's medicine in it."  "I know honey, but it will help you get better."  But he won't drink it.  We came down to me sneaking a 1/4 of a tsp over the course of 4 times a day...

I tell you what, we have never had this much medicine in our house.  And I don't like it.  :(

Finally, this last Thursday, we go to the doctor again.  Miles is finally getting better.  :D
There's only a little bit of wheezing left in the bottom of his lung. I am so relieved that there's finally been improvement!  But now Hudson has an ear infection, and also has to be on antibiotics.  But he seems to  be doing better already too.  One more checkup next week and I hope it's the last!

I am so ready for these sick days to be over!  I think we're almost there.  And surely past the worst.

Since we've been quaratined  at home since all of these goings on, we've taken a lot of pictures.  :)  Miles still of course, was himself, running all over and jumping and still being silly.  :p  It's hard to make a little boy slow down! 

So here's a little of the fun :)

Dopey?  Or smurf? Either way, it's dang cute ;)




Our favorite game to play (except Wipeout, of couse) is hide-and-seek!


"Here Hudson, I'll help you roll over"  ;)

 I was cleaning up some dishes this morning, and looked over to find this...
definitely time to start strapping this bugger in! hahaha


my sweet little miles....


No more sick days.  All the bugs can stay back, 'cause we are done!

4 comments:

AE said...

yuck yuck yuck...makes me wonder if I should get our little guy checked out. This cold virus that has been going around across the continent is a bad one this year, hey? It turns into chest congestion that lingers for a long time. I am glad you had the inclination to go to the dr. and that your boys are getting better. --Erin

Scott and Emily said...

I teared up again when I saw the nebulizer. :'(

But the other pictures are frickin' ADORABLE!! I love the hide and seek picture. :) And Hudson...he's just SO CUTE!!! I looooooooooove his little smile.

What sweet sweet boys!

Suzanne said...

I feel for you Sheena!! It's exhausting to care for such sickies...and emotionally draining. You're a good Mommy.:)Glad he's making improvements. (Hudson is getting so big! You have such cute boys!!!)

The Tobler Clan said...

So glad everyone's doing okay now. It's so exhausting as a mama as much from the emotional worry (it's your job to keep them ALIVE) as well as the lack of slept. I had 2 at the same time w/pneumonia last winter...I feel your pain. Glad it's over for you! CUTE BOYS!!