Monday, August 22, 2011

Road Trip to NC & Monticello Visit

We made our first road trip in our van this weekend down to North Carolina to go to my Aunt Nikki's Open House.  It was such a wonderful time!  We were a little nervous, with the due date in only two and half weeks, so we made sure to have the baby car seat installed and had my hospital bag packed in the van too, but everything went flawlessly!  Miles did great in the car and we had a nice drive down there.

Nikki looked so beautiful in her dress!  And I was excited to meet 'uncle' ;) Jeff.  We were able to go over before the open house began to chat and I even got to lace up the gorgeous back of Nik's dress.  So, so worth it.  I was so happy to see her. :)
The beautiful bride and groom- who are now honeymooning on a cruise in the Bahamas :)


And here we have a (est. ;) 24" waist next to a 42"  hahaha!

Miles found a buddy- one of Jeff's neices and he hit it off quite nicely!  They kept each other entertained pretty much the whole night
 As we were driving back home, I asked Brian if he knew if Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's house) was on the way.  He didn't know, so I looked it up (I have to throw in here that I am so so so, so, in love with the navigation and maps on our phones... we used them pretty much the whole time!) and guess what?  It happened to be right on our way!  I've been wanting to go ever since I thought I was going there and found instead that I was at Mt. Vernon, haha.  (Mt. Vernon is awesome too, but I was like, wait, this doesn't look like what I thought it would!  That's because it isn't Monticello... haha)  Anywho, it was the perfect pit-stop for the afternoon. :)
Front of the house
 It was so nice.  It wasn't swamped with people and it wasn't sweltering hot either. 
Miles keeping entertained with the rocks while we waited for our tour
 I wish we could've taken pictures of the interior of the house, but of course you weren't allowed.  The tour we took was only the ground floor and I really wish we could've seen the dome room, but we'll have to save that for another trip.  I loved the dining room and the parlor.  :) 

The basement/slave area was open to the exterior on each end of the house, with a long corridor running beneath the entire lenght of the house with the kitchen, cellars, etc.  I loved all the windows lining the corridor and it looked so cool from the outside!
Corridor, Kitchen, and 'Privy'  I would hate to have to walk all the way outside and down under the house to use the bathroom all the time!  Especially right now when I feel like I'm running to the bathroom every 20 minutes!  :)


I love this cute frolic ;D

There were lots of butterflies!  So beautiful!

Rear of the house (the better view I think)  Mostly because you can see the dome from this side.

 It was such a fun way to finish our road trip!  I'm so glad we finally got to go and see Nikki too!  It was a great little get-away before this little boy comes.  Crazily, that will probably be the next post!  (Is there any way to make a crazy-eyed/nervous/excited emoticon?  Insert that here!)  :)

2 comments:

Tasha Dee said...

Yay! I'm so glad you were finally able to go there!! I LOVE Tommy J! ;) (Dad thinks that's too informal. Buuuuut, we're tight ;))

p.s. Holy Huge! Have the baby already! ;D I'm calling you tomorrow!

KP said...

praying for you guys that all goes well with the impending arrival of your little guy...xoxo Cameron and Karen