Thursday, April 15, 2010

Not whining

K, I'm sharing this little blog, not to whine, just to share some of the drama we've had lately. ;)
So we've lived in our beautiful little condo for a year now, so all of our warranties for the house are expiring, and the builders came in the day before yesterday to fix all the nail pops and cracks, etc. in the drywall that they do after the first year and then you're done. I was telling Brian that day that I was feeling kinda nervous that all the warranties are over and now we're like really "on our own" with the house. (Before if we had any problems with anything, we could call and have it come checked/fixed for free.) We had a whole house full of people: drywallers, plumber, one of the builder's people... of course I didn't wake up early enough before they all came trooping into the house, so I tried to freshen up my make-up as best I could, get dressed, and had no time for a shower. :(
So the next morning, Brian got up, got ready, left for work. Miles got a bath and all ready and we came down to have breakfast. I went to throw something into the recycling in the garage and noticed this huge spot on the floor. (We had parked out front so Brian didn't go through the garage.) I turned on the light and there was water, dripping right out of the light fixture into a puddle on the floor that ran all the way out the door of the garage. I almost freaked out thinking the light was going to catch on fire. I called Brian and he was like, shut off the breaker in the garage and shut off the water main to the house, call Dave (the "builder" guy) and the plumber. The day after they've come to finish everything and our warranty is over. Seriously!? So, after a little drama getting the plumber (I wasn't very clear... the lady was like, yeah, they can come tomorrow and I was like, um, ok? And then Brian made me call them back to get here as soon as they could, haha- we were in a hazardous situation with the light! And there was a lot of water!) Anyway, so here we go again, and again, I've had no shower. Really, I wanted to kind of cry. I felt sooo nasty! Like, camping nasty.
Sorry, this is getting really wordy. But I'll just continue on. (Don't feel obligated to read, haha ;) But we knew the leak had to be coming from our washer, since that's right above the spot where it was leaking in the garage. The drywall guys had fixed a nail pop right there in Miles room in that plumbing wall, so our first thought was they had driven a nail into a pipe. So the plumber went ahead and cut two huge holes to try and find the leak. No leak. And two huge holes. (And we were worried about a nail pop, ha!)




Next idea: cut huge holes in the ceiling in the garage where the water is coming from. Aha! Now we've figured out our problem.... Brian had pulled out the washer himself before the plumber came over. Little did we know (because the washer was pushed to the front of the pan) that the water pan under the washer was full of water. (It's not supposed to have water, ever, as I learned from Brian's dad.) Second realization: The cold water was leaking and dripping into the pan because it wasn't screwed on tight enough, and then, the seal/washer around the drain in the pan wasn't tightened, so it was leaking around the seal, which was slowly leaking and following down the outside of the pipe where it would drip right above our light fixture in the garage. So... this has been happening for at least months. And it just started leaking out yesterday. I guess they come in and do the final inspection before the owners move in, then they come in and finish flooring stuff (so they pull out the appliances, like the washer and dryer) and then put it back without another inspection. So it was all because two things weren't tight like they were supposed to be. :p We still don't know if they're going to cover it in the warranty. They should, since it's totally their fault, but I guess we'll see. Anyway, crazy huh! But, I finally got my shower last night... aaaaahhhh finally. I was so done with the grossness. :)



I'm so thankful for running water. (I really felt like we had nothing, haha! I was like, does the electricity even still work? (even though it totally did) It's funny how crazy you can feel when one little thing goes wrong... ha!) And for our beautiful little house. And I'm still thankful pretty much everyday for my dishwasher (after living for almost 2 yrs without one ;) And I'm really thankful that our house didn't catch on fire. ;) (I know, I'm probably being dramatic) I'm thankful we already had everyone's number we needed to call to come take care of us. That's pretty reassuring... even if it's not covered in the warranty. And Brian's parents came right over to help us too, just to make sure we had everything go ok. :) I'm just so thankful! Holes are easy enough to fix. :)

2 comments:

Kadie Kinney said...

Sheena, I feel your pain! Only you have a beautful condo and we bought a 1950's brick house that needs a complete overhaul. But cosmetic stuff is one thing; it's stuff like when you move in and the furnace doesn't work that really gets to you. (Don't get me started). Anyway, I hope the warranty covers it and I'm glad you're beautiful condo is functioning again!

Suzanne said...

Wow! Crash course in being homeowners! We had to dig up our septic system TWICE after we built our house (it backed up into the basement) before they realized the pipe going into tank was too long and the toilet paper was getting stuck! You're grateful for water...I'm thankful for flushing toilets!! :)